steps

one more step. And another, and another. 

I was comfortable on the first day, after 11.5kms of walking. That day though, a couple of others weren't feeling their most comfortable self. The guide, and a few others periodically checked on them. The second day, for me, went by a breeze as well, as I trekked 13.5km and through our first real ascent. We reached our campsite that afternoon, and I suddenly felt unlike anything I had experienced before. It was as if my body suddenly collapsed. I decided to lay down in the tent, but every passing minute felt longer than it should have. The weather that day was gloomy as well, so there was no respite in that regard. I don't know if a pleasant day would have made me feel any better, to be honest. 

Our campsite was located on the backdrop of a lake, but was blocked by a small hill of stones. A five minute walk. Collectively, as a group, we rested for two hours, and then made our way towards the lake, beyond the stones. All I could think during that brief walk was how there were another four days of trekking. I wanted to go home. I felt done. This may seem unreal, but the moment I saw the lake, in it's blue, I felt a storm of energy rushing through me, only to feel my comfortable self again, physically atleast. Mentally, I was even better. A renewed motivation to complete the remainder of the trek.

But this is not about the lake, or any of it's magnificence. I realized how uncomfortable discomfort can feel high up in the mountains, far from family, with each passing day, and every step taken. Without realizing, or meaning to, I had been treating the trek as an individual sport, where my capabilities, and limits alone, were at test, but that was far from true. It could never be true. This is a team sport, where I needed to be there for everyone, and everyone for me. There was empathy for one, and for all. 

The next day was our next ascent, an attempt to scale the Gadsar Pass. Another expedition, as different physical threads were pulled at. I looked up, and there was more distance left to cover than I would have liked. But then I looked ahead, and saw a friend, a teammate, few steps away. He moved his left leg, and so did I. Right. Right. He took a pause, and I did as well. A breath for a breath, and a collective foot forward, as we reached the peak. I know I could not do it without them, and thinking of nothing but the next step.

So this is to the IndiaHikes KGL team of 21-27th August, each and everyone, without whom this would have just been another thing I would have hoped to do, but never really been able to 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ghee Shakkar

D से दिल्ली

S से San Diego