Day 1

545PM, the local time in Netherlands. I'm on a train journey to Eindhoven, where an uncle of mine stays. It's an hour away, adding to the miles I've already clocked so far. The last month has been a race against time to lose weight in the bulk, to look presentable (by my standards) by the time this trip began. Every day I'd track the steps I had taken, as a result of the running and badminton I was so extensively involved in. For a change, today I'm making a mental note of the miles I've accrued, as I sat stationary in one place, for hours at a stretch. 

The immigration was easy today, unlike the drilling I'm so accustomed to in the place from which I'm traveling. It was quick too. No sooner had I stepped out of the flight at 445PM, that I started walking briskly, knowing well enough that if I don't complete the formalities that each nation has made us used to, in time, I'd have to take the train at 545, instead of 515. I don't even know why there was hope. Had these border checks ever gone as per expectation? But I paced along nonetheless, and was out and about in 10 minutes, to find myself at the train station at minute past 5. A lesson at efficiency, and more importantly kindness, that every other nation could learn.

It was rainy when I landed, but as I write this sitting along the window in this double-decker train, the Sun shines on me in all it's glory. Perhaps the meme I saw earlier today is true. They call it May for a reason. It may rain, it may snow, or well, it may be nice for a change?

I was slightly sad yesterday, as I was leaving home. It was a weird feeling. I don't necessarily love my life back in America, but over the last few months I had got into a routine of sorts. Weekends were busier than usual, and weekdays were filled to the brim with my dual-workout routine. Going away from all this, breaking this daily-ritual seemed like an emotional overload. To add to that, there was no one I was traveling for, or to, but for myself, so there was added uncertainty of what lay ahead of me. 

But today, I arrived to my uncle's place, and was greeted with Pav Bhaji. Well, that's one way to ease into the solo journey that lies ahead of me. It felt all too familiar, quiet streets, lush green fields, and the warmth of home. Perhaps my daily schedule will be disrupted, but what I'm trading in it's place, will leave it's own mark in the journey, that is my life.


train journey to Eindhoven



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ghee Shakkar

D से दिल्ली

S से San Diego