सपनों का रंगमंच

the city was welcoming Brentford that evening, on the second of May, the official start of summer, and a national holiday, here in the UK. Unknown to them in some ways, they were also welcoming me, with fourteen years of memories up my sleeves. 

for as long as I remember time going back, I remember wanting to be here. The cupboards in my room back home, have sketch-pen marks of the players I adored, while books in the storeroom have their images cut out from Sportstar magazines. To add to that, blog articles from back in the day have me talking about their weekly performances. I remember wanting to sponsor my visit here, not 'wasting' (that's what he says) any more of the money my father had spent on merchandise over the years. 

and I was finally here, I was home, and I was Welcome(d) to Old Trafford, the Theatre of Dreams, the home of the biggest football club in the world, I heard the announcement.

he made a back heel pass, in the middle of the pitch, a few minutes in. It brought a smile to my face, and just as I was about to applaud his antics, I heard this thunderous storm. Seventy three thousand others reacted before me. As it turns out, the 'television' volume increases on its own inside the stadium. 

the noise requirements outside were taken care of as well. A twenty minute wait later, and after the pound note had exchanged hands, we were in the local pub, barely able to stand. Our local songs were being sung, and the walls were being pounded, an exchange my hands readily agreed to. What began with an ironic, Who the f*** are Man United, slowly and smoothly auto-tuned to my beloved, Bruno, Bruno, Bruno, he came from Sporting like Cristianoo! 

the year was 2008, the month was February, and the date read eleven. United had lost to their bitter city rivals the previous evening -- news my friend shared with me that morning. I was shocked, because he was. I remember coming home that day, and looking them up on the internet. I started 'supporting' Manchester United that day. I didn't know any better. I was a couple of weeks younger than 25 y/o, when I watched them live, at the Theatre of Dreams - the home of the biggest football club in the world. I still don't know any better..


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ghee Shakkar

D से दिल्ली

S से San Diego