The Onion Knights

I still remember the first innings on campus
facing inhibitions I never thought
staying alone, home-sickness, and engineering-drawing
tears were the only defense with which I fought 
I reached out, and family answered my call
Wasn't there something the system could have done to avoid my fall?
First came the minor, and then another, and finally the Major
with 14 weeks in between
a young boy, yet unpeeled
was my treatment a bit too mean?
'"it's only the beginning", I said
14 weeks, and I was dealt with a learning hand
the first layer was out, and here I stand

then came the second year
and with it, my next attempt
the committee room was where I first met them
my tribe for the next three years
a daily affair — we went into one room, and come out of another
shared frustration over course content
and moreover, would someone make their notes available at-least at the end?
who I met when, and what I spoke where
I don't remember it all, but I know this
14 weeks, and I was learning to deal myself a healthy hand
the second layer was out, and here I stand

for the third time around, I went away on exchange
it was harder than I imagined
I reached out, and friends answered my call
there was something the system had done after all!
Back I came, and there was lots to cover-up
administrative hassles, degree requirements — a filled cup
I knocked on each door, and they all turned me away
Until I found a messiah in Prof. TRS, along the way!
for what it was worth, I don't regret a moment of it
28 weeks, and I was dealt a learning blow
the third layer was out, and here I stand

the fourth innings
and they said it would be my last
but before I go, and after I leave
I know there would be no way to take me out of the past
an acquaintance turned into a friend
a discussion into a conversation
a department into a feeling
and an institute into memory
it would be different without any of you
and I didn't want anything else, I wanted this
112 weeks, and I was dealt with a family, with you
the final layer is out, and here we stand

one peel at a time
a teardrop after another
one layer at a time
a lesson after another
this journey was like unwrapping an onion
you are, and so am I
An onion knight.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ghee Shakkar

D से दिल्ली

S से San Diego